Monday, June 24, 2013

Energy Bites

I keep these little beauties in the fridge for a snack attack. They are definitely a family fave.
The great thing about this recipe is that it can be adapted with your favorite fillers. I still haven't made a batch that is the same!

Start with 1 cup oats. I throw them in the Nutribullet and use the grinding blade to break down the oats slightly. This time I even threw in the raw sunflower seeds (1/4 cup) because I thought that blending in the nuts a little better would make it more "Jaxon friendly."
Viola. Don't over grind them. Just a few seconds in this guy.

In a bowl add the following to the ground oats and seeds:
2 tsp ground flax
1/4 c raw sunflower seeds, almonds or walnuts (if you didn't already bring them)
1/4 c carob chips (or mini chocolate chips)
1/4 c coconut
1/4 c raisins (or dates, cut up, or craisins)
 
In a separate bowl, combine 3- 4 Tablespoons of Almond Butter
2-4 tsp honey (depending how sweet you want)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp toasted carob powder (or cocoa powder below) 
I LOVE the flavor of carob - so I prefer it over cocoa and haven't made these bites with cocoa but I'm positive you could substitute


Remove rings and blend it all together. If mixture is dry, add more honey or almond butter. It should just stick together when you start rolling  into bites. 

I form into adult bites and child size bites and pop into the refrigerator in a Tupperware. It's a great snack for everyone and they usually last about a day. :) 

Yield: approximately 10 large bites, 10 small bites

Not even in the fridge yet and he saw them on the counter and devoured two of them. That a boy! 








No comments:

Post a Comment