Monday, June 10, 2013

Smoothie Geek

Since our week spent in Tucson in April, we were introduced to a new gadget called the nutribullet. This little baby is superb! It's a souped-up version of a blender - allowing to pulse, grind and blend -making the most nutritious and delicious smoothies, gazpacho, salsa and sauces. I've been "bulleting" for a while now. My dad saw how much our family loved the byproduct of the bullet and gave us one as a gift. Isn't he cool?

Anyway, I've become kind of a smoothie geek. For fun I create new smoothies and name them. I think I've always had the propensity to be one of these people - because for years I've always wanted that job; naming nail polish or paint colors. Perhaps my geekness goes far beyond food?  I digress.

The makings of "The Green-go."


Isn't she lovely? 

The nutribullet has revolutionized all our eating - but I'm particularly thrilled with what its doing for a certain picky eater. As ya'all that know our family know, we have thee pickiest of picky eaters - my Jaxon boy. So you can understand why I'm tooting the nutribullet's horn when I can make crazy healthy smoothies and call them "milkshakes," and serve them up to Jax! And.....he drinks them. I think it's the first time (absolutely no exaggeration) his little body has ingested a veggie or a fruit since he was 12 months. I'm sure his system throws out some codes when he consumes spinach, flaxseed, yogurt, bananas and micro greens. 

Yes, seriously. I can disguise these wonderful foods right in his "milkshakes." Of course we have to be careful with our wording. We can't call it a smoothie - but I can work around that. Oh and anything with tiny seeds is out of the question (it's a textural thing). But the possibilities are pretty endless - especially now that I live in the land of fruits and nuts. (I'm talking ingredients here, people)

My fave for lunch, "The Californian" 
(leave me a comment if you want the recipe)



Recipe for The Green-go:

1/4 c. Dole pineapple orange juice, or any citrus juice
1/4 c. Coconut milk
1/2 frozen or fresh banana (or throw a whole one in) 
1 ripe juicy Mango (peeled)
1 ring (or 2) of fresh pineapple (could use canned)
1tsp. ground flax
2 drops doTerra Citrus Bliss Essential oils
3 tsp slivered almonds or cashews
Handful of fresh greens, spinach or kale (I used spinach)
1/3 c. crushed  ice (or more) for a colder smoothie

Put on nutribullet and blend - sip slowly so you don't get a brain freeze and ENJOY all that goodness.







1 comment:

  1. I've been enjoying catching up. :) And I like naming stuff too. Tropical Trio popsicles, anyone?

    ReplyDelete