Sunday, June 16, 2013

Finders Keepers

I started my Saturday morning early to hit a yard sale or two. My goal was to find something to serve as storage for the playroom. I still had not unpacked the boxes of kid's books and everything I looked at online to buy was overpriced and not as functional as I would have liked it to be. 

I didn't know if I would find something but it never hurts to look. I drove to the first sale. It was a very large sale with items donated by area residents with all the profits going toward a high school group heading to Peru to do some sort of humanity project. 

I think I scored. 
Yes, I found a storage solution, but first I have to rave about this rug. I wasn't looking for a rug but certainly had been feeling like I needed a rug under my dining room table. But it would have to be big and have to have the colors I needed to tie my dining room and livings room together since our home is an open floor plan. And, rugs are costly. I'd been shopping around. 
I'm no expert on rugs, but I do believe this one was probably purchased at top dollar. It was in terrific condition. There was one tiny stain on the corner, no pet hair and yes, I put my nose to it to make sure it didn't have any odor problems. (Anyone observing me in this process probably got a chuckle. Good thing I don't know anyone.)
Once I brought it home I cleaned it up a little by vacuuming it and sprayed Lemon and Citrus Bliss essential oils on it for a nice natural deodorizer. 
I couldn't pass it up. Don't you agree? 

To the ARMOIRE.......
I saw this and knew it had potential. One of the bottom doors was missing and it was pretty cosmetically challenged, but it was a solid piece. I think it was meant to be! It fits perfectly in the space I needed it to be in and it is so multifunctional. 
By removing the other door, The Legos fit in the space like a charm, giving the boys access to them but at the same time remain tucked away. I'm a "tucker." I like things contained and out of view. My husband does not. He likes to see everything. I think this is a win win solution.
Perhaps when I have the time and vision, I'll paint it and spiff it up, but for now, it's serving it's purpose.


And you ask what I paid for the rug and the armoire? Well, typically, I would have driven a harder bargain, but since it was donation only and going to a charitable cause, I paid $20 for the rug and $20 for the armoire. I think I still got a great deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment