Thursday, June 27, 2013

Sea weed Mom?

I've tried to substitute junk food for fruits and veggies and have things on hand and cut up in the fridge at all times so we, as a family, don't make bad eating choices. But I personally believe I'm just a person that makes bad food choices naturally. If there were carrots and Pringles in front of me, I would go for Pringles. Why is that? I think I can identify this as BAD HABITS.

My family could have cared less about healthy food. Sorry family, but it's true. Bad habits formed when I was growing up. I ate a chocolate pop tart for breakfast most mornings, if I ate anything at all (by choice). If we went on jeep rides in the hills - we ate beef jerky and Better Cheddars. We did not pack carrots and cucumbers and apples. My mom cooked balanced meals and was a phenomenal cook, but healthy eating was not promoted. I use to be in denial about that - I use to think our eating was okay. Until now. 

I don't want to be a bad habit mom.

I carry a cooler with me whenever I leave the house and expect to be gone for a period of time. I try to pack healthy snacks - carrots, apple slices, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, almonds, sea weed.....okay, just kidding on the sea weed. At my mommy play date at the lake last week, a mom brought 2 packs of seaweed flakes that she purchased a Trader Joe's. I had to try them because the curiosity was getting the best of me. I politely made myself finish it, but that was probably one of thee most disgusting things I've ever eaten. Apparently some people like them?! 

I don't want to be a sea weed mom either. 

I want to be a promoter of good choices, a realistic mom, a fun food mom, a mom known for making great dinner, fun snacks, a delectable chocolate chip cookie, a mom that packs a lunch that Kaleb can't wait to dig into at school. I want to be a mom who has a consciousness about food and the menu and control with what is in the fridge and in the pantry and on the dinner table, but not a mom that is over the top or freakish or obsessed. I will allow my kids to eat junk food in moderation and demand they eat a healthy breakfast before school. I will monitor sugar intake and have already kicked two very bad habits. POP and FAST FOOD. Yup, we've nixed those from our lives and it feels AMAZING! You should try it. 

I want to be a good food role model. Have I been? Yes and no. The key is to be a good food role model CONSISTENTLY. Is it too late? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I'm definitely in the right place to be conscientious about food. A friend told me that this place is crawling with healthy food geeks. I love that. I love all the fresh food options as well, the roadside stands and farmer's markets. In fact, I am most delighted about it. It is making it easier to break bad habits. 

And then there's this little side note: I have thee unhealthiest eater! 


Bedtime snack for Jaxon: KIX. EveryNight. Kids-tested, mother approved? 
It could definitely be worse 

JAXON. The child who won't eat, let alone try, ANYTHING good or new or healthy. And it's LEGITIMATE. What do I mean by that? He has a very real problem - and I'm starting to realize its both  psychological and physical. He has a very terrible gag reflex and an over stimulated sense of smell. A year of therapy and trying everything known to man, this child STILL will not eat good food. 

I made him eat a chicken strip and he gagged on every bite. Really surprised he didn't throw it all up. He's never (no exaggeration) eaten a veggie or a fruit (unless its hidden in a smoothie) and he's starting to catch on since he sees what I put in my smoothies. Peer pressure does not work either. Being around other children his age who eat "normal" does not inspire him one bit. 

A few weeks ago I made him sit at the table and eat 1 piece, one piece mind you, of elbow macaroni (plain). He tried so hard, put it in his mouth and gagged, tried again and regurgitated. I told him he had to eat it or sit at the table until bedtime. (Gave him a new noodle). This was the outcome. 
Yes, he sat at the table so long he finally fell asleep. Unbelievable!

What is a promoter of good food choices to do with this situation?
My answer?  
DON'T LOOSE HOPE. 
CELEBRATE THE SMALL VICTORIES
LEAD BY EXAMPLE

My hope is that I instill good habits in my child(ren) now. I show Jaxon what is good and what isn't and one day he will be old enough to make an educated choice and understand how the good and the bad affect his body. Right now, all I can do is lead by example, keep presenting healthy snacks, reward ourselves with fun treats, cook great meals with fresh ingredients and hope that not only will they benefit from it, but they will someday appreciate it and realize the impact it makes on their overall well being. 

And when carrots and Pringles are their choices, they will grab the carrots.


No comments:

Post a Comment